An article which tells you all about how the UK Bus Awards are organised and what we set out to achieve...
The current awards scheme was introduced in 1996. It was designed to develop further the Bus Good Practice Awards, which had been set up by the Association of Metropolitan Authorities in 1991. Initially called the Bus Industry Awards, the scheme was rebranded as the UK Bus Awards in 2005, the tenth year of its existence.
The scheme is operated and financed by an independent not-for-dividend company, the Bus Industry Awards Ltd, a subsidiary of Transport Events Group, an organisation established especially by the UK Bus Awards team to organise and run events on behalf of the public transport industry.
As well as UK Bus Awards, the group is also responsible for the UK Coach Awards.
BIA Limited delegates the organisation of the Scheme to the UK Bus Awards Management Committee, which comprises representatives of bus operators, local authorities, the trade press, the Campaign for Better Transport, the Chartered Institute of Transport and Bus Users UK.
The committee and the company are chaired by Tony Depledge OBE, formerly president of the industry trade association the Confederation of Passenger Transport UK, and sometime managing director of Blackpool Transport. He succeeded John Owen OBE, retired managing director of Thamesdown Transport (2004-2014) and Barry Moore, previously Managing Director of Ipswich Buses Ltd (1996-2004).
UK Bus Awards Mission Statement
To operate a viable, cost-effective Awards Scheme for the UK Bus Industry, maintaining a high quality project which provides
- a forum for positive media coverage of the achievements of the UK Bus Industry
- a scheme in which best practice, high quality staff and outstanding standards of customer service in the industry can be encouraged and rewarded
- a forum in which examples of best practice can be spread amongst other industry and local authority managers and staff
Our Vision for the UK Bus Awards
We believe that we will best deliver the Awards Scheme objectives at the right price for the industry by:
- Delivering a professionally run competition, independently and fairly judged
- Providing a forum through which industry best practice can be promulgated and promoted, including the UKBA web site, one or more seminars or training events and other publishing opportunities
- Providing a high-quality Presentation Ceremony that provides a special day for sponsors, stakeholders, finalists and winners
- Devising and delivering a promotional and PR strategy that maximises promotional opportunities for finalists, winners and the wider industry
The vision will best be delivered by:
- Delivering a business that is managed to the highest possible professional standards
- Running a company that both is and is seen to be
- Simple and straightforward
- Reliable and trustworthy
- Presentable and efficient
- Passionate and proud
- Energetic and committed
- Choosing partners and contractors which offer the same standards as BIA Limited seeks to deliver
- Effectively managing the risks which the business faces
Bus Industry Awards Limited: Corporate Goals
- Providing a set of award categories and criteria which deal with important aspects of industry management and promotion
- Ensuring that bus industry stakeholders have input to, and recognise the importance of, the Awards Scheme as an integral and vital part of the industry
- Ensuring that award scheme entries are judged fairly and objectively against the agreed criteria by independent expert judges
- Providing high-quality events which provide a means of rewarding and spreading industry good practice
- Continuing to deliver the company’s financial objectives of short-term viability, medium term financial stability and repayment of its long term debt.