The 2004 Awards were presented at a luncheon ceremony in London on 18 November 2004 by Sir Bill Morris, former General Secretary of the TGWU.
For the first time the prestigious Belmont International Bus Operator of the Year Award was won by a municipal company, Nottingham City Transport, with London United, the main operator in south west London, in second place.
Caldew Coaches of Cumbria took the Claudia Flanders Memorial Award for Accessibility and FirstGroup plc the BP Award for Innovation with their bus environmental award scheme. Brighton & Hove Bus & Coach Company scooped the Eureka! Award and Telford & Wrekin Council with Arriva Midlands & Staffordshire County Council won the Marketing Award for Local Authorities. Transport for London’s London Bus Garage of the Year was won by London General and Sutton Garage.
Previous Bus Awards winners consolidated past performance with Harrogate & District Travel picking up two awards, the CfIT Award for Customer Service and the Viacom Outdoor Marketing Award for Bus Operators, and Lancashire County Council taking three awards, for Buses in the Countryside, Buses for Pleasure and the Award for Infrastructure.
First Leeds’ driver Bernard Rhodes was awarded Bus Employee of the Year, and Newcastle-based Go-Ahead Group’s Martin Ballinger became the 2004 recipient of the Wedlake Saint Award for Services to the Industry.
The Bus Awards were presented by Sir Bill Morris at the luncheon ceremony at the London Hilton on Park Lane. The awards host was BBC Newsnight’s Stephanie Flanders with ex-Strategic Rail Authority Chair, Richard Bowker, keynote speaker. Awards were presented across 14 award categories, from entries involving some 240 organisations from across the UK.
Belmont International Bus Operator of the Year
- Winner: Nottingham City Transport
- Runners Up: London United Busways
The Wedlake Saint Award for Services to the Industry
- Awarded to Martin Ballinger, Go-Ahead Group
BP Award for Innovation
- Winner: FirstGroup plc – the 2004 Bus Environmental Award Scheme
- Runners Up: Translink – Translink Bus Safety Initiatives
Bus Industry Product of the Year Award
- Winner: Solar Century – ‘streetsmart’ Solar Powered Bus Shelter
- Runners Up: Scandus (UK) Ltd – ‘Glidemaster’ Seat
THE CfIT Customer Service Award, sponsored by BAA Heathrow
- Winner: Harrogate & District Travel
- Runners Up: First York
Viacom Outdoor Marketing Award for Bus Operators
- Winner: Harrogate & District Route 36
- Runners Up: The Oxford Bus Company – Espress
Accessibility: The Claudia Flanders Memorial Award, sponsored by Tripscope & Unwin Safety Systems
- Winner: Caldew Coaches – Development of Services for Disabled People
- Runners Up: Warrington Borough Council – Enabling the Independent Traveller
The Eureka! Award
- Winners: Brighton and Hove Bus & Coach Co – Endorsement Campaign
- Runners Up: Gateshead MetroCentre, Go North East & Stagecoach North East – MetroCentre Bus Promotion
- Judges Special Commendation: London Central – Improving the Bus Travel Experience
The Marketing Award for Local Authorities and Joint Projects
- Winners: Borough of Telford & Wrekin, Arriva Midlands & Staffordshire County Council – RuraLine 481
- Runners Up: Nottingham City Council, Nottinghamshire County Council & Partners – The Kangaroo Travelcard
- Judges Special Commendation: Essex County Council & Stephensons of Essex – The Blackwater Link Service 90
- Winners: Lancashire County Council – Chorley Interchange
- Runners Up: First Essex & Essex County Council – Real Time Information in Chelmsford
The Bus in the Countryside Award
- Winners: Lancashire County Council – Bowland Transit
- Runners Up: Norfolk County Council – Wymondham Area Flexibus
The Buses for Pleasure Award
- Winner: Lancashire County Council – Bowland Transit
- Runners Up: Devon & Dorset County Councils and First in Hampshire & Dorset – CoastLink X53
Bus Employee of the Year Award
- Winner: First Leeds – Bernard Rhodes
- Runners Up: Stagecoach London – Franklin Tumfo
Transport for London: London Bus Garage of the Year Award
- Winner: Sutton, London General
- Runners Up: Bromley Garage Stagecoach London