28 November 2023
The prestigious UK Bus Awards 2023 marked a triumphant return to recognising, rewarding and inspiring innovation in the bus industry today with Go South Coast crowned UK Bus Operator of the Year for the third time, having previously secured the title in 2017 and 2018.
The company also clinched the Top Shire Operator category before fending off formidable contenders Sanders Coaches and Brighton & Hove Buses to win the top gong in the Grand-Prix competition that pits the winners of the Top City, Top Shire and Top Independent Operator Awards against one another.
Adding to the prestigious occasion, Guy Opperman MP, the UK Government Minister responsible for buses and coaches in England, made one of his first appearances in his new role. He announced Stagecoach Cumbria and North Lancashire as the Gold Award winner in the Buses for Leisure category, highlighting the importance of post-pandemic leisure travel to the industry.
The event once again also showcased outstanding individuals in the industry, with Mariusz Losinski from Harrogate-based bus operator Transdev Blazefield securing the Gold Award in the Top National Bus Driver: The Chris Moyes Memorial Award category. Meanwhile, Marina Rudko received the Gold Award in the Luke Rees-Pulley Award for Top London Bus Driver category and the esteemed Gold Award for a Lifetime Contribution to the Bus Industry was bestowed upon Ticketer co-founder John Clarfelt.
Dawn Murphy of Stagecoach Yorkshire was honoured as Manager of the Year. In this category Transdev Blazefield’s Alan Isherwood took the silver with the bronze award bagged by Mark Mageean from Stagecoach Manchester.
Richard Greaves from Stagecoach Manchester was named Young Manager of the Year ahead of silver award winner Lauren Watson from Stagecoach Merseyside and South Lancashire. The bronze in that category went to Go North East’s Dan Graham.
Lee Peters from Go South Coast emerged as a hero in the Unsung Heroes category, showcasing the often-overlooked contributions that make a significant impact and Stagecoach Manchester’s Middleton depot secured the Gold Award in the Top National Bus Depot category. Meanwhile, Stagecoach London’s Lea Interchange depot was named London Bus Garage of the Year.
The awards ceremony was a celebration of resilience, creativity, and dedication, with Alan Millar, Chair of the UK Bus Awards, expressing his admiration for this year’s cohort of winners.
He said: “In a year that has tested the resilience of our industry, the UK Bus Awards 2023 stands as a testament to the unwavering commitment and brilliance of those who keep the wheels of the bus industry turning. The dedication, innovation, and community spirit reaffirm the pivotal role of the bus in connecting people and communities. From seasoned players to new entrants, we’ve celebrated their successes, innovations, and contributions. Congratulations to all involved!”
The event, held at Troxy London, was a testament to the industry’s commitment to delivering a first-class experience for bus passengers across the UK.
Notes to Editors:
- Images from the ceremony will be available to download from the UK Bus Awards website at www.ukbusawards.org.uk.
- The winner of the UK Bus Operator of the Year was selected from the highest-scoring contestants of the Top City Operator, Top Independent Operator and Top Shire Operator Awards. Our experienced team of independent mystery travellers make anonymous visits to each of these operators and assess service delivery on the ground against a checklist of more than 30 items. These results are then collated and assessed to identify the overall winner.
- The UK Bus Awards has been recognising, rewarding and inspiring since 1996.
- Lifetime Contribution to the Bus Industry Award recognises a significant and sustained contribution to the success of the industry by an individual who has consistently gone beyond the call of normal duty to improve and promote the bus industry for its users or the wider community over a period of years. This award is made by the UKBA Management Committee.
- The awards are independently judged by expert panels, ensuring integrity and transparency.
- The UK Bus Awards is committed to embracing and promoting innovation, inclusion and diversity within the bus industry.